Whether it’s on your counter, floor or shower it was an expensive decision and can be a more expensive fix if you aren’t informed. Natural stone is like a woman…. simple. (But is in fact complex). Pretty to look at but if you don’t understand how to maintain it’s beauty it could be a costly decision.
The 5 Major Do’s of Cleaning Marble and Granite
1. Understand what natural stone you have.
2. Find out if it has been sealed/or if it has a soap residue on it. To test for soap residue use water on a rag and go in a circular motion. If it’s soapy then you need to use a natural stone soap scum remover. To test if it needs to be sealed use water again. This time get a few droplets of water and watch and wait 5 minutes. . If it absorbs and darkens quickly you need to reseal it.
3. Buy a specific NATURAL STONE cleaner to clean and or remove any pre existing build up.
4. Buy and assign a specific microfiber rag for the routine cleaning of the stone area
5. Clean often
The 5 Major Don’t of Cleaning Marble and Granite
1. Don’t use any generic or common household product like Windex, vinegar or acidic based cleaners.
2. Don’t use a scouring pad to scrub
3. Don’t put anything hot directly on the surface.
4. Don’t cut anything acidic like 🍋 lemons or oranges 🍊 on the counter.
5. Don’t assume that the person you hire knows how to properly clean the surface. Better to ask than to be sorry.
CAN MY MARBLE OR GRANITE BE SAVED?
Don’t stress because the answer is YES! Call a natural stone care cleaner in your area. They can assess the damage and determine if it needs to be resurfaced or simply buffed out. THE MORAL OF THE BLOG IS: DON’T TAKE YOUR GANITE FOR GRANTED! IT MAY BE STONE BUT IT’S NOT THAT TOUGH!