You’ve worked hard all day. It’s time to relax, maybe read a book before turning out the light. You sink into your comfy mattress with the just-cleaned sheets. You know the feeling. We’ve all been there. There isn’t much better than falling asleep on your favorite just-cleaned sheets after a hard day’s work. But, what if those sheets aren’t looking so clean anymore? Good sheets are expensive! Let’s keep our sheets looking nice and bright longer. Here’s how…
Don’t Grab The Bleach!
Most people associate clean and brighter clothing with bleach, but think of this…Why do your white T-shirts get yellow stains under the armpits? It’s not just the moisture from sweat. It’s also the bleach you used in the White/Hot Cycle in your washing machine. Bleach can yellow cottons and most sheets are made of cotton!
Don’t Wash Your Sheets With Your Towels
Towels are heavier than sheets and will take longer to dry in a load. This can cause you to over dry your sheets and the end result will be you struggling to get a fitted sheet on your bed that used to fit.
Towels are also filled with lint and will release the lint all over your sheets. And we all know how hard lint is to remove!about:blank
Do Grab These Ingredients When Cleaning Your Sheets
Ok…so we’ve told you what NOT to do when washing your sheets. So, how should you wash them to keep them nice and fresh for longer? Go grab these ingredients and follow the simple steps below. You’ll need:
- 1 cup of baking soda to deodorize the sheets
- 2 TBSP of non-scented dishwashing liquid
- 1 lemon squeezed – used to brighten the stains out of the sheets
- Large container filled with hot water (or your bathtub filled 1/4 of the way)
- 2 cups of white distilled vinegar
- Fill a container with hot water or fill the bathtub ¼ of the way full
- Sprinkle in your baking soda
- Pour in your dishwashing liquid
- Pour in your white distilled vinegar
- Squeeze a whole lemon in the mix
- Let your sheets sit for 30 minutes
- Then wring out as much excess liquid as possible
- Wash as you normally would in the washing machine
We strongly recommend you use this process with soiled sheets from blood, sweat, makeup, urine and other bodily fluids before you grab the bleach and those stains turn yellow. The only yellow you want to see in this process is the yellow from the lemon squeeze!
Enjoy Your Bed Linens Longer
We hope these simple tricks will help you enjoy your nice bed sheets much longer. And, after you have completed the process, put the sheets back on your bed and curl up with a nice book before turning in for the night. You deserve it! Sleep tight!
Do you have any cleaning questions for us? Our job is to keep your home sparkling. So, if we can help in any way, please leave your questions in the comments below and we will be happy to answer with some helpful tips.